In the insurance industry, the goal of every insurance agent is to create a steady stream of new customers ready to close the deal on a new policy. Today’s digital age offers consumers the ability to find everything they need with a quick Google search. For this reason, it is essential for insurance agents to have top-ranking visibility within those searches in order to turn those consumers into new customers and a Google Business Profile is one way to achieve that. But what is a Google Business Profile and how can it really make a difference? Here we take a closer look at this powerful marketing tool and how to optimize Google Business Profile in order to deliver a dramatic boost in business.
- Understand what a Google Business Profile is and how it can affect your business growth
- Learn the benefits of an optimized Google Business Profile
- Step-by-step instructions on creating your Google Business Profile
What’s a Google Business Profile?
Formerly known as Google My Business, a Google Business Profile is a free tool offered by Google to business owners to promote business information on Google Search and Maps. This powerful tool allows you to take charge of how your business appears on Google Search and maps, as well as allows you to connect with customers, list your specific products and services, and much more. By taking charge of your business profile, you put your business in front of potential customers in your area who are searching for the services you offer.
What does a Google Business Profile do?
Creating a Google Business Profile allows you to create a local business listing that displays to consumers when they do a search for your products in their area. For example, when a local consumer searches “home insurance near me,” they will see your business listing pop up, so what they see in this profile can determine whether they click through to your site or call for more information. But what does a Google Business Profile do and how do you improve your click-through rate?
When creating your Google Business Profile, you can:
- Provide business information: Here you can provide your business name, contact information, and hours of operation.
- Photos: You can offer photos of your business, a logo, and any other images that can help consumers identify your business.
- Products and services: This section gives you the ability to explain the products and services that your business offers consumers.
- Calls and messages: Your Google Business Profile allow consumers to make calls directly through Google search results, as well as Google Maps. In addition, you can track these calls to see the impact your Google Business Profile provides to your business.
- Posts: Google Posts allow you to post special offers or promotions that display within your Google Business Profile.
- Reviews: The review section allows consumers to post reviews of your products and services. In addition, it allows you to respond to each review, thanking those that are positive, as well as addressing any potential negative reviews. Regularly addressing reviews shows potential consumers that you are active in your business and willing to work to resolve issues when customers experience them.
- Analytics: With the Google Business Profile, you have an analytics dashboard called Insights. This tool allows you to see how people are finding you, such as whether they found your listing by searching your business name or services your offer or if they found you using search terms you may not have yet considered.
What are the benefits of having a Google Business Profile?
Now that we have covered what a Google Business Profile is and what it offers your business, what are the real benefits? According to statistics, Google controls more than 92% of the search engine market worldwide, with consumers performing over 5.6 million searches per day, so it is essential that your business rank well on Google. A Google Business Profile is the best way to get started. Here are some of the benefits that creating a profile offers your business.
- Free: We all know that marketing and generating leads can require a large portion of a business budget, so finding a free marketing tool that can generate real leads is always beneficial.
- Create business credibility: Google searches often reveal conflicting information on businesses, such as hours or services offered. Creating a Google Business Profile offers you the ability to provide accurate business information that is verified by Google, showing potential customers that your business is legitimate and the information they see is accurate.
- Provide customers with the information they need: Your Google Business Profile includes all the information a potential customer needs to contact your business, making it easier for them to connect with you.
- Drive traffic to your website: When a potential customer searches for “insurance agents in my area,” your listing will display with a direct link to your business, making it easier for the consumer to find you and your website.
- Announce promotions: Google Business Profile gives you the ability to launch promotions directly in your business listing.
- Allows consumers to leave reviews: According to online statistics, 97% of consumers report that reading customer reviews influence their decision when choosing a business. With a Google Business Profile, your customers have the ability to leave reviews and you have the ability to send them a link where they can directly post a review. In addition, you can engage with your customers, thanking them for positive reviews and addressing and rectifying potential consumer complaints directly through your business profile.
How to create a Google Business Profile?
The next step is creating your Google Business Profile. Here we look at the basic steps involved and how you can create an active profile within minutes.
1. Sign up for an account
In order to create your profile, you must first determine if your business already has a Google Profile. Google creates these listings based on current internet information. However, you may not have access to it in order to make changes. You can search for an existing listing or create a new business listing by clicking here.
2. Enter your business information
Once you create a Google Business Profile account, you need to fill in all your company’s information, such as business name, address, phone numbers, hours of operation, and industry. If you work out of your home and do not have a storefront, you can create a radius around your business location, showing where you provide service.
3. Verify your account
In order to fully manage your business information within your Google Business Profile, you must verify your business with Google. This can be done through email, postal mail, or phone. Google will send a verification code through one of these methods. Once you receive the code, you enter it into the profile, verifying your business. Once this is complete, your listing will display a little blue icon showing consumers that you are a verified business.
4. Monitor and update often
While setting up a Google Business Profile is relatively quick and easy, it is not a “set it and forget it” marketing tool. You want to make sure that you monitor the listing on a regular basis, change any business information as needed, such as hours of operation, and take the time to interact with commenters and customer reviews.
Frequently Asked Questions
When it comes to Google Business Profiles, many business owners still have questions. Here we answer some common questions.
1. What is the difference between Google My Business and Google Business Profile?
If you are familiar with Google My Business, then you are already familiar with Google Business Profile as they are the same. In 2021, Google renamed Google My Business to Google Business Profile.
2. Is a Google Business Profile free?
Yes, Google Business Profile is completely free for business owners, making it a marketing tool you need to take advantage of.
3. Can you have two businesses in one location?
Oftentimes, business owners operate multiple businesses from the same location. When it comes to a Google Business Profile and multiple businesses at one address, certain requirements must be met. Each business must be legally registered as a business and each business should have unique business phone numbers.
4. Is it worth having a Google Business Profile?
As we mentioned above, Google is the search engine used by most consumers, so making sure your business can be found through search results is essential for your business. Creating a Google Business Profile can be done with a few spare minutes and is completely free. You can’t say that about other successful marketing tools, so you really have nothing to lose.
Using Google to boost your business
As an insurance agent, you are always looking for ways to market your business and services in order to create a stream of steady leads. Creating a comprehensive marketing strategy to do this can be expensive and time-consuming. With a Google Business Profile, you have a free marketing tool to add to your arsenal that can effectively help boost your business, as well as your other marketing strategies. Taking the time to create this profile can make a big difference to your business.